Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Three Mold Prevention Tips For Your Home
The very idea of mold in your home is enough to make anyone nervous; we’ve all read the bad press about the health hazards that mold can bring with it. Mold can be beneficial when it comes to cheese and medicines, and it plays a necessary part in the circle of life as it also decomposes nature’s organic matter. But it can be a problem-causing organism as well, especially when it grows in your home. The spores spread easily and can never be completely eradicated once a colony has been started. It can grow anywhere: on carpet, paper, inside walls, and on food.
Here are three tips to prevent mold growth in your home:
- Identify problem areas and correct immediately: Leaks and flooding aftermath need to be cleaned up and dried as soon as possible. Keep an eye open for stains on ceilings and walls so that you can identify leaks that are happening behind the scenes. Keep rain gutters clean and in good repair, and make sure water is properly diverted from foundations and low-lying areas. Mold grows where it’s wet and can take over within 24-48 hours. Leaving wet items lying around the house can even be a cause, so immediately hang up items that need to be dried, such as towels and bathing suits.
- Ventilate your living spaces well: Make sure your living areas are properly ventilated. Any appliances that produce moisture need to be vented to the outdoors. Using a dehumidifier is always a good idea; today’s energy-efficient homes can actually hold moisture indoors!
- Purchase and use mold-resistant materials and products: When doing repairs or renovations, use mold-resistant products such as drywall or sheetrock. Many paints on the market today contain mold inhibitors, as well. These paints are especially good for use in bathrooms and laundry areas, where the air stays moist most of the time.
In the event that a mold problem has developed in your home or business, call the professionals at SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas for immediate assistance. Our phone number is: (912) 285-0724, and we can also be reached on our website: SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville, and Douglas.
Using a Dehumidifier to Keep Mold from Growing
There are many culprits that can cause or complicate allergies in a humid climate: mold, mildew, and seasonal allergy issues such as pollen, dust, etc. If you or someone you love suffers from allergies, using a dehumidifier in your home can make a big difference in their health and comfort.
Whether you live in a humid climate, or just in a living space that tends to be humid, such as an older home or apartment, you may be experiencing problems from mold and/or mildew or dust mites. Limited ventilation in places such as basement apartments, or small kitchens or bathrooms can cause moisture to build up, even in the driest of climates. It will only take 24-48 hours for a mold colony to begin growing once the airborne spores find an environment they like!
- Reduce humidity levels, making your home less inviting to allergens, particularly mold spores.
- Reduce the possibility that mold will develop on furniture, clothing, and other materials.
- Help to reduce the unpleasant odors that accompany mold and mildew.
- Allow you to breathe easier by reducing irritation to your skin and respiratory system.
- Reduce dust in the home, so you won’t be cleaning and dusting as much.
- Provides a less humid environment for your home and family, keeping electronics and tools free from rust and corrosion, and even prolonging the shelf life of breads and cereals!
- Help your clothing dry faster.
- Lower energy costs, helping your HVAC to run more efficiently. When air in the home is humid, the A/C must work doubly hard by cooling the air AND removing the moisture. Your unit will wear out sooner under that stress.
- Run quietly and efficiently in the background of daily life. You won’t even notice them.
The SERVPRO team of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas is always available to help with your clean up issues in your home or office. Fire damage, water damage, and mold prevention are just some of our areas of expertise. Call us at (912) 452 2498 or visit our website: SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas
Checking Your Closet for Mold Growth
In the humid months of the year, mold can take hold in your closet without your knowledge. That kind of oversight can be expensive when it comes to clothing, shoes, and other personal belongings that might be affected. After all, it only takes 24-48 hours for mold to begin a rapid colonization if the conditions are right.
Here are some tips you can keep in mind to guard against mold:
- Deep cleaning. This is probably the best and most effective way to guard against mold in your closet. Periodically, you will want to empty your closet and deep clean. It may not be necessary to remove those items that are hanging, but everything on the floor and along the walls including anything on shelving will need to come out. Sweep, vacuum, and mop, paying special attention to walls and corners. Use a disinfectant method such as baking soda and herbs to freshen the carpet, which also helps to prevent any mold spores from taking hold. Wipe down all shelving with a disinfectant liquid spray, and make sure they are completely dry before replacing your belongings.
- Use a dehumidifier. Having a dehumidifier in your closet can be a big help when it gets muggy outside, and in.
- Don’t store items in cardboard. Storing items in cardboard is not the best idea. Once cardboard gets damp, it starts to decompose, and this is a great place for mold to begin a colony. It can also become a home for spiders, which is definitely something you don’t want!
- Use mold-resistant materials. When renovating or refreshing this area, use mold resistant materials such as drywall and paint, etc. These types of materials are readily available at any home improvement store.
Here at SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas, we are experienced in mold remediation, so call us at (912) 452 2498 if you develop a problem, or visit our website: SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas. We are also experts in cleanup after fire and water damage.
Preventing Mold Growth In Your Bathroom
Your bathroom is one of the most susceptible areas of your house when it comes to mold growth, and it’s no wonder; there is water everywhere in the bathroom on any given day! You’ll need to practice preventive measures to ensure that you don’t develop serious mold growth in this most important, and busy, room in your home.
A bathing area has a higher moisture level that most of the other rooms in your house, of course, and surfaces can become moldy quickly if not kept dry. Once mold has established a hold on an area, it can come back even more quickly every time the humidity rises.
Here are some tips to preventing mold in the first place:
- Paint your bathroom with mold resistant paint. Products of this type are readily accessible at your local hardware or home goods store. This is a great idea for your kitchen as well.
- When doing any type of repair or renovation in the bathroom area, check with a professional to find any available products that contain mold-resistant ingredients, such as flooring and drywall, for example.
- Avoid standing water in this area of the home. During floor cleaning, use less water than you might otherwise, and always dry off countertops after cleaning, paying special attention to cracks and crevasses.
- As with windows in your home, ensure that all frames and weather stripping are in good repair in advance of wetter and more humid weather.
- Keep an eye on the cabinets under the sinks and around the toilet for leaks from hoses and pipes leading to walls. Clean behind and underneath them well on a regular basis, and take a good look while you are completing this task.
- Ensure your bathroom area is well-ventilated; you can always use a dehumidifier if you feel it necessary.
Keeping mold out of your bathroom will contribute to a pleasant overall experience in your bathing area; after all, this room might just be the busiest in the whole house!
Here at SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas, we have the experience, knowledge, and expertise necessary to help you with any mold remediation. We are also available for cleanup after fire and water damage. Call us today at (912) 452 2498, or visit our website: SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas
Cleaning Mold in Your Kitchen
You can often find mold damage such as mildew in the kitchen of your home or business. Running water from faucets, steam from tea kettles or boiling water - these add moisture to the area, and mold thrives on damp surfaces. Fungus and mold also grow on food that is left alone for too long. If the humidity levels in your kitchen remain high, mold colonies may begin to grow, so keeping up with spills and moisture left behind is always a good idea.
Make sure your kitchen is well ventilated. Opening doors and windows can help with this and using an exhaust fan is also a way to keep levels of humidity lower. If you notice a musty smell in your kitchen, you can call an expert to come and assess the situation. Here at SERVPRO of Waycross/ Hinesville & Douglas, we are experienced in the area of mold remediation.
Fungus and mildew can grow on unwashed dishes, so make sure you clean up after every meal, just like your mom always told you! If wet and dirty dishes are stacked up on each other. they never get a chance to dry out and will provide mold spores the perfect opportunity to start a colony. If a little mold does show up, hot water and soap will take care of it right away.
Sometimes a sink can show signs of mildew or mold beginning to grow; if that happens, just clean it the way you normally would, using cleaning products, and that should take care of it. Make sure you clean all the nooks and crannies, behind the faucets and the unnoticed areas where water sometimes gets trapped. Clean the drain well, also, since this is an area that doesn’t get dried out as often, and mold can easily grow here. You will want to run your garbage disposal daily, as well. This action alone can do a lot to prevent mildew and fungus from returning to the drain.
Take care of any leaks immediately. Whether under your sink or above, you can end up with a serious mold issue pretty quickly if these types of situations are ignored. Mold removal technicians can help take care of a big problem quickly and can get rid of that musty smell. They can also assist with ways to keep mold from growing back, as well.
Call us here at SERVPRO of Waycross/ Hinesville & Douglas to get help with mold remediation. We are also experts in cleanup after water and fire damage. Our phone number is: (912) 266 8375, or visit our website: SERVPRO of Waycross/ Hinesville & Douglas
Preventing Mold in Your Waycross Motel or Hotel
Mold is unsightly and unhealthy, and can cost you business. Take steps today to mold-proof your motel or hotel business so your Waycross guests can rest easy.
IDENTIFY PROBLEM AREAS
Do an audit of your business premises; where are the problem areas? Are the windows in some rooms frequently damp? Are there any persistent leaks in ceilings or hallways? Preventing mold from growing and spreading can be as simple as ripping up carpet or using mold-resistant cleaning and renovation products, or just cleaning out rain gutters.
KEEP THINGS DRY
Mold will not grow without moisture, so take care of wet areas immediately; water damage often leads to mold growth. Seepage after heavy rainfalls or melting snow and ice, or even carpet spills or minor flooding due to broken pipes, etc. need to be fully dried within 24 to 48 hours. Make sure any bedding and furniture that may have been affected are either completely dried or removed from the area.
Make sure all staff is educated as to good practices in the prevention of mold. All areas need to be properly ventilated at all times, from the kitchen to the on-site laundry, if you have one. Housekeeping staff need to keep a lookout for leaking AC units in guest areas, and all staff should know what to look for in break areas, bathrooms, and other areas where they work daily. In overall damp weather, dehumidifiers might be appropriate to use, especially in more humid regions.
KEEP A WEATHER EYE OUT
Regular inspection of exterior doors, windows, and roofing can expose any leaks or improper fits right away. Even the smallest leaks can, over time, cause a mold issue that can be difficult to eradicate.
Do you use live plants in your decorating scheme? They are beautiful and useful, too; they help to purify the air of indoor spaces, which is always helpful. They can also accumulate mold on their leaves and in their pots. Make sure that part of their care involves checking for mold. Natural food stores carry products that can be added to water for your plants to keep excess moisture down, while being safe for the environment.
When it comes time to repair or renovate, keep in mind that there are many mold-resistant products on the market today, such as drywall or Sheetrock. Many paints now include mold-inhibitors, which are a great asset in the battle. Some cleaning products can be a benefit, as well.
Whatever your region’s climate, either the warm, wet South or the hot, dry Southwest, and everything in-between, make sure you know how mold starts and spreads. Knowledge is power, even in the battle against mold!
Here at SERVPRO of Waycross/ Hinesville & Douglas, we are experts when it comes to water damage, fire damage, mold remediation, and all of your emergency service needs! If your business has received water damage of any kind, or any other such emergency, you can reach us at (912) 266-8609, or visit our website at http://www.SERVPROwaycrosshinesvilledouglas.com/
Can Mold Be A Problem in Autumn?
Examine your mold issues this autumn season
There are many fun and exciting activities associated with the Autumn season. Fall festivals, hayrides, and the Halloween holiday all come to mind. It would be reasonable to assume something like mold growth would be the furthest thing from a homeowner or business owner's mind. However, in light of all the recent hurricane-related storms that have impacted the southeast U.S., one would be very wise to at least inspect for fungal growth in their homes and businesses. Routine maintenance such as changing your air filters and reprogramming thermostats should be accompanied by a thorough inspection and cleaning of your HVAC air ducts by trained professionals. Autumn in most parts of the U.S. is considered the best time to have this service performed, as cooler weather allows for easier inspection of these air ducts that are a prime area for fungal growth. This is due to the possible accumulation of dust in a dark and sometimes moist environment.
SERVPRO of Waycross / Hinesville / Douglas have highly trained mold remediation experts ready to immediately attend to your individual needs. Whether it's a simple inspection, or a full-scale removal and restoration. We emphasize that all forms of fungal growth need to dealt with cautiously, and not only the dreaded "black mold".
Locating and fixing the source of excess moisture is an important priority in remediation. The initial damage assessment includes that process. From there, the technicians will determine what the job will actually entail in the way of equipment, personnel, containment/removal, and air filtration. After all the fungi have been properly dealt with and disposed of, SERVPRO will clean all your effected furnishings and belongings, plus, remove any lingering odors. Finally, if the job requires removal and replacement of drywall, painted surfaces, or carpet, we will take care of this. Since it has been found that fungi spores can spread throughout a home in 48 to 72 hours, it's comforting to know SERVPRO has an emergency service contact number to call for immediate help. The homeowner/business owner is well advised to call the service number before attempting any DIY abatement involving fans, drying methods, or bleach sprays that might compound the initial problem.
In the event that a home or business requires it, we will use our advanced cleaning techniques to restore your belongings, and will even conduct move-outs/pack-outs to protect your possessions from any further damage. Additionally, we can save damaged documents and photographs, and have a qualified electronics technician on call to inspect and clean household/office devices. Contact Claim Inventory Service is available to assist the client in providing the all-important proof of actual damage for insurance purposes.
One of the many virtues of Autumn is the clean, crisp fall air. You can experience this indoors, all year long, if you schedule an inspection/remediation appointment with SERVPRO of Waycross / Hinesville / Douglas today!