Practice Fire Safety in your Office
Our team here at SERVPRO of Wacross, Hinesville & Douglas would like to share some tips with you today to help keep yourself, your staff, and your business property safe from fire:
- Install high-quality smoke detectors on or near the ceilings of your business in all areas, including warehouses and outlying buildings.
- Installing Carbon Monoxide alarms in the same areas is always a good idea since CO is an odorless and colorless gas produced by burning fuels.
- Ensure that you have multipurpose fire extinguishers readily accessible in several areas of your property, and make sure your staff knows where they are and how to use them properly.
- Have your HVAC unit inspected on a regular basis. Employ a professional for these types of specialized tasks.
- Create an escape plan for your team and make sure everyone understands it and can follow the plan in case of fire. Post your evacuation plan in public areas so that both your staff and customers are aware of where to go in the event of a fire. Second story buildings should have an escape ladder; post warnings near any elevators that they are not to be used in case of a fire.
There are remote monitors available today that let you know if there is a fire in your buildings while you are not there. They can be plugged into an electrical outlet easily and connected to your internet, and you will be notified by the app you download on your phone.
- During repair or remodelling of your business property, use fire-resistant building materials when available. For example, using a fire retardant brand of insulation can be a huge part of keeping your workspaces fire safe.
Call the team here at SERVPRO of Wacross, Hinesville & Douglas for assistance with fire safety, and remember: we are always available for large-scale cleanups after fire and water damage in both residential and commercial properties.