Recent Cleaning Posts
Pet Owners HVAC Maintance Tips
As a pet owner you are all to familiar with finding fur, dander and other leave behinds brought in by the dog or cat. From sweeping to mopping up the messes you stay pretty on top of the dander, right? One thing to keep in mind is your HVAC and how it is affected by animal fur and dander. To improve your HVAC and keep it running without any animal hair build up we have compiled a list of tricks to keep the air ducts fresh and vents clean.
1. Bathe your pets regularly.
Dirt and debris cling to your pets’ coats when they come in from outside. This dirt then transfers itself from their fur to your couch, the air, and eventually leading into the ductwork. Bathing your pets often cuts down on the pull ants being brought inside your home.
2. Clean your home often.
While bathing your pets will help, it will not eliminate the dirt entirely. Dust and mop often to keep your floors and furniture from building up too much dirt.
3. Change air filters.
Airborne hair and dander tend to accumulate very quickly in standard air filters. A clogged or blocked air filter can lead to poor indoor air quality. Change your air filter at least quarterly to ensure maximum efficiency.
4. Professionally clean your carpets.
Vacuuming and spot cleaning your carpets regularly will not get to those trapped allergens. Getting your carpets cleaned two times a year will cut down on dander and airborne particles.
5. Clean your air ducts.
Air ducts are the pathway for air to be circulated throughout your home. When those air ducts get clogged or coated in debris your indoor air quality decreases. Be sure your family is breathing the cleanest air possible by having your air ducts cleaned.
Pet owners have a lot of responsibility, especially if the pet is living indoors. Be sure to keep your home and indoor air quality top of mind with these helpful tricks.
Need to schedule a carpet cleaning or air duct cleaning? Give SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas a call today! (912)285-0724
How often should my Air Ducts and HVAC unit get cleaned?
Notice the amount of debris and dust that can build up on the sides of the Air Ducts if not cleaned regularly.
A question we get often is- “How often should I have my air ducts and HVAC unit cleaned?”
We recommend that your air ducts get inspected for a cleaning every 3-5 years. Schedule a free inspection today by calling (912)285-0724
Benefits of having your Air Ducts and HVAC Cleaned- is to improve ventilation in the home and improve air quality. If your unit has been operating without attention, it could be circulating one or more of the following through your home:
- Dirt and Debris
- Other Contaminants
Another benefit of cleaning your HVAC unit is it will help extend the life of the equipment and could help avoid costly repairs in the future.
When is the best time to get your HVAC system and Air Ducts cleaned?
Besides servicing your unit every three to five years you should also keep in mind the utilization of the unit. The best time of the year to get your unit cleaned is early Fall or Spring, after you have decreased using your HVAC system to cool or heat your property. When you see the leaves starting to change in Early Fall or have entered the Spring Cleaning call SERVPRO to clean your Air Ducts and HVAC unit.
Call SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville, and Douglas and start breathing in cleaner air in your home. Schedule a free estimate of services today!
Keeping Your Waycross Business Clean
KEEPING YOUR WAYCROSS BUSINESS CLEAN
We’ve all seen the reality TV shows about struggling businesses and restaurants. These shows are entertaining and even humorous, but they also highlight an essential detail that businesses need to not overlook: a clean work area. That might not sound like a big deal, but a clean business sends a powerful message to clients.
A clean and tidy workplace:
- Reduces the need to replace supplies and equipment as often. When dirt and grime are left to build up, that can cause unnecessary wear-and-tear on your office equipment. The keys on your PC keyboard can get sticky, countertops and flooring can become stained and torn, and office furniture left uncared for is unsightly, sending the wrong message to everyone. Regular cleaning and maintenance will save you costly replacements of these items. SERVPRO of Waycross/ Hinesville & Douglas specializes in commercial restoration and cleaning.
- Can help you find and fix the damage before it becomes a problem. Besides making your surroundings look good, regular deep cleaning can help you catch problems you might not notice otherwise. Finding water damage and mold growth from leaks are much easier to deal with at the beginning of the issue. The longer damage from a water leak goes on, the higher the costs of repairs are going to be. Taking care of mold is also important for the health of your workforce. Mold spores can often be toxic, and its presence can be a health code violation. SERVPRO of Waycross/ Hinesville & Douglas is your local specialist for mold remediation.
- Can help employees avoid illnesses. A dirty working environment can encourage the accumulation of bacteria and viruses that can affect your employees. Clutter and grime also make it difficult to concentrate and can cause stress in everyone, especially those people who are highly sensitive to uncomfortable surroundings. When your workers are happy and productive, your customers and clients will know it, and will positively affect your business with repeat sales and referrals.
- Gives your business an image and reputation of trustworthiness. If your business looks like it is falling into disrepair, most people will assume it’s failing; how can they trust you to care about their concerns if you don’t care about your own? Water-stained walls, unkempt furniture and machinery, dusty light fixtures; all these things will give your prospective customers the idea that you just don’t care. Not the best way to get people to come back!
Call us here at SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas today for help with all your commercial cleaning needs. We are experienced in cleanup after water and fire damage, and mold remediation is one of our specialties! Our phone number is (912) 266 8375, and our website is: SERVPRO of Waycross/ Hinesville & Douglas
Tips for Spring Cleaning Your Waycross Home
We’ve been waiting for Spring here in Waycross! Everyone has had enough of cold, ice, and biting winds. And Spring here in the Waycross area is just so lovely; all the budding leaves and blooming flowers, and birds and animals coming out to feed and enjoy the warmth are wonderful to see.
Windows are thrown open again, and sunlight is welcomed back into our homes. And as we look around in the fresh light, we notice those areas of our homes that need special care….
Drapes and blinds will need to be dusted and checked for any repairs that might be needed. Running your heater all winter could have caused damage and soiling, deteriorating any fabrics. If there is a smoker in your home and they have been smoking indoors, there will be odor issues to be dealt with as well. If odors are particularly strong, dry cleaning your draperies can be helpful, or a call to the SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas team may be in order.
Most competent vacuum cleaners can handle rug and carpet cleaning, but after a long winter of feet and paws tracking in snow or mud, there can be quite a bit of soiled build-up. To preserve and extend the life of your carpet, we here at SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas recommend having a professional cleaning done once a year. We employ state-of-the-art equipment to help get your rug and carpeting looking like new!
Some preventive actions you can take year round are:
- Regular spot removal
- Regular vacuuming
- Moving furniture to change the traffic patterns in your home
- Using mats to limit tracked soil
- Using the brush on your vacuum to prevent matting
We are here at SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas are here to help you with all your cleaning needs. We are experienced in cleanup after fire damage and water damage as well, and you can always call us for any mold or mildew issues! Visit our website at SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas, or give us a call at (912) 307 3552!
Four Tips to Clean and Deodorize Your Closet
Here are four basic steps to cleaning and deodorizing your closet to get ready for Spring!
- Clear the closet entirely! Removing absolutely everything will give you an excuse to wash all of your clothing and linen, and invariably you will find items that need to be gotten rid of. Which leads to...more space!! It’s also a good time to send winter coats and jackets to the dry cleaners in readiness for the coming Fall. Discard broken hangers and any boxes or packaging left behind from the holidays.
- Use the power of the sun! Line dry your clothing and linens and bring the wonderful scent of the outdoors back into your closet. Air out any drawers, storage boxes or baskets in the sun - the light and heat bakes away odors and dries musty smells from the humid Georgia weather.
- Deodorize with ….. Vinegar! Fill up a few small bowls with white vinegar and place them in different spots around your closet interior. Open all the drawers and cabinets, and even the jewelry box. Close the closet door and leave it to sit overnight; it will completely deodorize and freshen your closet space.
- Baking soda is great for the carpet! Dust a layer of baking soda on the floor, and leave it for at least 15 minutes. An all-natural deodorizer, it helps to take care of humidity within your closet space that causes a musty smell. Once you vacuum up all the baking soda you are left with a clean and fresh carpet. Don’t miss corners and baseboards! Finish the task with your favorite linen spray. Spritz your clothing before returning to the closet, and maybe the floor to add some scent to the space. Sachets of herbs such as lavender can be tucked into drawers to release their delicate scents throughout the year. For smelly shoes, a small bag of bamboo-activated charcoal inserted into the in-step can take care of that issue.
Contact the SERVPRO team of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas for help with those big cleanups, such as water damage or fire damage. If you are struggling with mold, call us! (912) 307 3552, or visit our website: SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas
When to Replace Your Cleaning Supplies
We all use a wide variety of cleaning supplies every day, and they need to be replaced! Some types of supplies, such as sink and bath cleaning products, disappear quickly, while others, like oven cleaners and furniture oils, can last a relatively long time. Some cleaning solutions and products will show dates that they are “best used by”, but many do not. Developing a simple record keeping system for yourself, which notes when you purchased the item, can help you to decide when it might be time to buy new cleaning supplies. Replacing them in a timely manner will help to keep your home and/or business cleaner and smelling fresh!
The following products often don’t have a noted shelf life, and keeping these for too long can affect their efficiency:
- Sponges: This item is one of the most important supplies used in cleaning. They are employed for washing and scrubbing, both in kitchen and bath, as well as many other areas of the home or business. They are at the height of their efficiency until 15 to 20 days after purchase with regular daily use, and they should be replaced. After this time, they begin to deteriorate and fall apart. Keeping the sponge very clean can help it last longer; washing it with hot water and squeezing dry after use, and using anti-germ solutions can keep it contaminant free.
- Mops: These tools are extremely absorbent, and also need to be kept very clean between uses to prevent the growth of bacteria. Always allow it to dry completely before using again. Many mops have removable heads that can be machine-washed; this practice will help to prolong the life of the mop. Store your mop in a cool, dry space between uses.
- Dish Rags: These are usually made of cotton, microfiber, or other cloths, and are used primarily for dishes. A best practice for this cleaning tool is to use it only for dishes and not for other areas of your home. Paper towels are a great aid in soaking up spills, etc. and not your dishrag! These can, of course, be machine washed, but if they get to the point where they smell even when clean, it’s time to replace!
- Dusters: Clean your duster after every use and store in a dry area. When it begins to fall apart or deteriorate, it’s time to replace it.
When it comes to any type of solution, once the solution does not flow well from the container, or if it smells different than it did upon purchase, it is probably time to discard the item.
By keeping records of all these items, reminding you of their age, etc. will be a great help in keeping your cleaning supplies up to par!
The SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas is always here to help you with your large cleanups. We’re experts in cleaning up fire and water damage, and also in mold remediation. Visit us on our website: SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas or give us a call at: (912) 307 3552
How to Keep Your Waycross Home Pest Free
We’ve found that keeping your home pest free is much easier than getting rid of them after they’ve moved in. Our approach to this is two-pronged. First, prevent them from entering your home, and second, use these cleaning tips to take away all their reasons for thinking it might be a good place to live.
Prevent Their Entry
Pests can enter your home through the smallest cracks, so the efforts you make to seal up the cracks in your home’s exterior will keep some of them out. Look for gaps around the pipes that enter your home and seal with expanding foam. Holes in window and door screens let insects in and you can repair or replace the screens.
Apply weatherstripping around door frames, and if there’s a visible gap between the base of the door and the floor, install a door sweep to keep them from crawling inside. Caulk around the window frames to prevent flying or crawling insects from gaining entry.
Eliminate Their Interest
Bugs won’t be as interested in your home if they can’t smell or otherwise sense food and water inside it. Even if you vacuum and sweep routinely, food has a way of accumulating under the appliances, in the carpet and between the furniture cushions. When we at SERVPRO of Waycross / Hinesville / Douglas provide cleaning services, we pay attention to the hidden places where crumbs often scatter.
Additionally, these cleaning tips can help you keep the bugs outside:
- Use a kitchen garbage can with a tight-fitting lid.
- Keep boxed or bagged food like cereal, flour, sugar, chips, crackers, or cookies in tightly covered tins and plastic or glass containers. You can also keep flour and sugar in the refrigerator.
- Rinse the dishes before loading the dishwasher and use the garbage disposal every day.
- Put your pets on a feeding schedule and remove and rinse their food dishes.
- Keep the drawers closed to prevent food crumbs from dropping inside.
- Move the appliances periodically to vacuum and scrub beneath them.
- Snacking and binging go together, and when you indulge, make sure everyone uses a plate and napkin to prevent food from spilling into the carpet or furniture.
4 Quick Tips for Cleaning Your Desk
It’s a funny thing about desks. They have a way of accumulating piles of papers and random office supplies, as well as stacks of books on their own. The fact is that keeping a desk clean, polished, odor-free and clutter-free does take some doing, but it isn’t impossible. A clean and clear desk can make you much more productive and much more able to think.
Here are a few tips to help keep your desk clean, neat and organized.
- Make a Commitment to Cleaning.
Offices tend to run on regular appointments, so why not make a special appointment for cleaning your desk? Schedule a special clean up time for your desk three times a week and watch how clean and organized it gets.
- Don’t Eat at Your Desk.
Eating at your desk takes away from the enjoyment of a lunch, and it also can add to the odor and mess of your work-space. Keep meals separate and leave the office to eat, for the good of your social life and the cleanliness of your desk.
- Use a Professional Cleaning Service.
Once in awhile, it pays to call in a professional service to clean your desk, and take on odor removal in your work area. SERVPRO of Waycross / Hinesville / Douglas is a great resource for major office cleaning jobs and for odor removal in your workspace. Do yourself a favor and call in a pro before your messy office gets completely out of control.
- Get an Inbox.
Even with all the email use happening today, the fact is we still have a lot of paper to deal with. Get a good old fashioned paper tray for your desk, and have that be the space for your incoming papers. You’ll immediately see a reduction of clutter by making this change.
Having a clean desk to work on will help you have a clear head for work. So, make a point of keeping your desk clean, and call in the professionals at SERVPRO of Waycross / Hinesville / Douglas to get your desk clean, fresh and extra sparkling.
4 Tips to Deodorize Your Car
If it’s been a long time since your car has received a good cleaning, then it might be long overdue. We’re on the go and often find ourselves with no time to think about maintaining our vehicle. Our cars take a heavy hit when it comes to collecting our garbage, receiving stains from food packages, and more. What’s worse is that the odor removal process can be even more difficult if not taken care of in the first place. Fortunately, we here at SERVPRO of Waycross / Hinesville / Douglas have some cleaning tips for you that will help keep your car looking fresh and odor free!
Taking out the Trash
Before cleaning anything in your vehicle, the first step you should do is to remove all the trash that has been collecting over time. Whether it’s candy wrappers, fast food bags, Coke cans or more, get a trash bag and discard everything that doesn’t belong in the car. This will help with the next couple of steps, especially since there won’t be any debris in the way.
Once all the nasty items have been discarded from the vehicle, the next step is to vacuum all the nooks and crannies of the vehicle. Make sure that you get every space between the seats as well as under the seats. Removing crumbs from your vehicle will not only make it look cleaner, but it will also deter any insects who might be looking for an easy snack to pick up.
Now we can get to the meat of the job! If you want to help with the deodorization process, you’re going to have to deep clean all the seats. Find yourself a reliable cleaning solution from your local store and scrub the fabric to help with odor removal. The deodorization process will help keep your car smelling better and remove unwanted smells that have built up over time.
Air Fresheners and Vent Clips
Now that the vehicle has been cleaned, we can begin the upkeep of the car by installing vent clips and air fresheners into the vehicle. These will help keep your vehicle smelling fresh, and comes in various smells! While this option is not a direct solution to a bad smelling vehicle, it helps ease any lingering smells that may exist post cleaning.
Cleaning Your Home After Having Prolonged Guests
Is your Waycross house a mess after family visits?
The joyful celebrations of the holidays are here, but soon the long march back to the day-to-day living will begin. There’s no question the holidays are a time of much-needed love and light, yet with it comes a few issues that can make the season a bit wearing.
The holiday issues we’re talking about come down to a short list. First is greeting cards. Do we have to keep sending out greeting cards these days or is it okay to send out a mass “Season’s Greetings” email and figure the job is done? Or is that tacky?
And while we’re on it, is it tacky to pass on Aunt Bertha’s fruitcake, when all you’re trying to do is avoid extra calories (and perhaps food poisoning)? Okay, and last on the list are those extended visits from friends and relatives we love but don’t want to have to live with.
The House Guest Cleanup Conundrum
Having house guests can be a lot of fun, especially if they don’t stay very long. Being a host involves numerous responsibilities, however, including cooking, cleaning, tidying up, and did we mention cleaning?
The aftermath of a long visit can mean your home is in need of some serious cleanup, given with plenty of TLC. Carpets may need a major cleanup after an extended visit, and the stove may need a total overhaul. What about the bathroom? The tile and grout in the bathroom may need a major cleaning before, and yes, after the guests leave, so you’ve got a big job on your hands.
If your guests brought their pets along (it happens) there may be pet stains on the carpet or on the tile to deal with too. The good news for those of you who have extra guests this holiday season is that SERVPRO of Waycross / Hinesville / Douglas is ready to take on the task of getting your house back in shape pronto, as soon as you are ready to get your home back in order.
The dedicated SERVPRO staff is made up of highly trained technicians who are ready to clean your ceilings, floors, walls, carpets, upholstery, tile, and much more.
So, don’t sweat the cleaning necessary after playing host for a busy holiday season. Greet it with a big smile, knowing you’ve got the support of SERVPRO to get you through it.
New Years Cleaning Resolutions
Make cleaning your resolution for 2018 Waycross!
You have set your jaw and made New Year’s resolutions before only to cower in defeat halfway through the year. Why not make this upcoming year one in which you do everything you set your mind to do, which includes giving your home a thorough cleaning? SERVPRO of Waycross / Hinesville / Douglas is your number one choice for all cleaning needs.
We provide carpet and upholstery cleaning
No matter how many times you tell guests to take off their shoes before entering your home, there is always at least one person who fails to do so during the holidays. Beyond the rebel during the family gathering is the everyday dirt that comes with residing in close quarters. Your carpet needs to be thoroughly cleaned at least once per year.
Upholstery is another area in the general living space that becomes dirty rather quickly. What better New Year’s resolution to fulfill than to give yourself the peace of mind in knowing that your family will not be exposed to dust mites every time they sit down to watch television?
Odor removal is available
Pick up the phone and solicit our services when you have cleaned all that you know how and yet the odor remains. We have the expertise needed to deodorize your home efficiently. You do not want to enter the new year with the same smells that hindered productivity these past twelve months. Let us improve your attitude by removing the odors that bring down the atmosphere of your home.
We provide air duct services
Heating during winter months is essential. Your home’s central air and heating system cannot work efficiently without proper maintenance. Our air duct services can clean one of the most intricate parts of your system so that it provides heat during winter and air in summer. Air duct service also provides better air quality, which may reduce the probability of illness during the year.
New year, new you
You can make this year different by starting off on a clean foot. Call SERVPRO of Waycross / Hinesville / Douglas today to set up an appointment for a thorough cleaning of your home.
4 Tips to Keep Bugs Out of Your Home Come Spring
Don't find yourself with new unwelcome roommates when spring thaws the winter ice!
Every year after winter has come and gone, bugs come out of hibernation and are looking for places to feed and mate. They look for moist, dark places to call home, and your home is often the prime real estate. Whether it’s ants, cockroaches, or other creepy crawlies, there’s plenty that we can do to help keep them out of our homes! SERVPRO of WayCross / Hinesville / Douglas and I have put together some tips for you to help keep your home pest free.
Cleanliness is The Best Deterrent
Insects like to find dark, cluttered places to call home and multiply. Do your part and make sure that you are on top of your cleaning to make sure that the insects can’t take up residence in your home. Spring cleaning is a fantastic time to remove habitable conditions from your home from the insects, so make sure to stay on top of that!
Always Check the Screen Doors
Another item that often goes overlooked is the screen door/screens for windows. It’s important to check for cracks or openings before spring comes around to ensure that no bugs can make a break for your home. If you happen to find any holes in the screen doors, do your part and plan to repair them as soon as possible! The last thing you want is an unintentional bug infestation because one tiny hole was overlooked.
One big offense that people oftentimes find themselves doing is leaving food out in the open. If you or your family have a bad habit of leaving food out on the counter overnight, or leaving food open in the pantry, don’t! This is a prime resource for bugs to get inside of your home. The moment that one insect finds some leftovers out in the open or the pantry, it’s game over. Soon they’ll be all over it! Make sure to discard or refrigerate any food that is being left out.
Removing Unnecessary Water
Finally, one of the least known components of a bug problem is water. If there is any kind of leak anywhere, or somewhere that has a dark and damp surface, bugs are attracted to it. Do your best to ensure that any leaks are fixed immediately and that standing water is not left out in the open for too long. Cleaning these areas immediately will persuade the insects to seek refuge elsewhere. This is prime breeding grounds for these bugs, don’t let them have a chance to get comfortable and settle!
When Do You Clean Your Carpet?
There are many factors involved in when you should clean a carpet!
Are you planning to clean your carpet anytime soon? For your house to look great, it must be fresh from the seats to the carpet. But many people have difficulties in determining when to clean their house carpets. The carpets, of course, need cleaning when they are dirty. Yet cleaning every day may not be enough to keep your carpet beautiful. Autumn can be a great time to clean your carpet professionally for a few reasons. When you are ready to clean your carpet, seek service from a credible company. SERVPRO of Waycross / Hinesville / Douglas has many years of experience in commercial restoration, recovery and cleaning services and our expert technicians are always ready to serve.
Reasons for cleaning your carpet during the autumn season
It's logical that you have to have a proper carpet cleaning once it gets dirty. However, you should conduct a professional cleaning at least once in a year to keep your carpet in good condition. Below are reasons to clean your carpet during the autumn;
During winter and fall families are home for the holidays. Families usually get together during winter and fall seasons. This could make it difficult for you to schedule a carpet cleaning with heavier foot traffic. When family members are at home, it means there will be more shoes and feet in the house. This will make the carpet dirty. To be on safe side clean your carpet before or after this season.
During the autumn season, some people are away from home with children at school. In this scenario, you have ample time to schedule a carpet cleaning. When you clean your carpet, why not go for a whole house restoration and recovery after the dirty seasons!
If you run a business, you may experience a downtime in sales and foot traffic before the holiday rush. If you work in retail, the opposite is probably true. if your office goes on holiday break, why not schedule carpet cleaning when everyone is away from their desks?
No matter your schedule, SERVPRO of Waycross/Hinesville/Douglas is available for carpet services. Get in contact with us today if you need a refresh!