Practice Fire Safety in your Office
When was the last time your office practice fire safety. It’s always better to be prepared!
Our team here at SERVPRO of Wacross, Hinesville & Douglas would like to share some tips with you today to help keep yourself, your staff, and your business property safe from fire:
- Install high-quality smoke detectors on or near the ceilings of your business in all areas, including warehouses and outlying buildings.
- Installing Carbon Monoxide alarms in the same areas is always a good idea since CO is an odorless and colorless gas produced by burning fuels.
- Ensure that you have multipurpose fire extinguishers readily accessible in several areas of your property, and make sure your staff knows where they are and how to use them properly.
- Have your HVAC unit inspected on a regular basis. Employ a professional for these types of specialized tasks.
- Create an escape plan for your team and make sure everyone understands it and can follow the plan in case of fire. Post your evacuation plan in public areas so that both your staff and customers are aware of where to go in the event of a fire. Second story buildings should have an escape ladder; post warnings near any elevators that they are not to be used in case of a fire.
There are remote monitors available today that let you know if there is a fire in your buildings while you are not there. They can be plugged into an electrical outlet easily and connected to your internet, and you will be notified by the app you download on your phone.
- During repair or remodelling of your business property, use fire-resistant building materials when available. For example, using a fire retardant brand of insulation can be a huge part of keeping your workspaces fire safe.
Call the team here at SERVPRO of Wacross, Hinesville & Douglas for assistance with fire safety, and remember: we are always available for large-scale cleanups after fire and water damage in both residential and commercial properties.
Did You Know We Work with Science?
Bet you didn’t know that SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas has a team of scientists! There is a specific science behind drying out a water damage. Our SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas team has the knowledge of psychrometrics. Psychrometrics is essential to restoring a water damaged structure to it’s preloss condition.
While your initial reaction may be to grab a few towels to mop up the mess and place fan or two around the damaged area, the team at SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas are trained in the science of drying and follow a strict industry-approved standards to help lower the chances of any secondary damages.
If your business suffers a water damage SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas will:
- Inspect and detect every area that is holding moisture
- Measure how much moisture is in the materials, as well as how each material is drying.
- Speed up Mother Nature by using professional drying equipment.
What do we mean when we say “speed up Mother Nature”? A wet building can often dry naturally, but often takes to long and secondary damages occur while the natural dry out process occurs. SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas has the drying equipment to speed up the drying process to minimize and eliminate further damages in the home.
Need help after a water damage? Contact SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas today.
2019 Hurricane Season - Prepare Now
Hurricane Prep 2019
Here at SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas we want you to be safe during the 2019 hurricane season. Hurricane season can bring strong winds and flood water to our area. We’re sharing some guidelines for you today so that you can be ready if and when a hurricane hits the area.
Before a hurricane:
- Sign up for local alerts and warnings and monitor local news and weather reports.
- Prepare for a possible evacuation by testing your emergency communication plan with your loved ones in advance.
- Make sure everyone knows evacuation routes and designated safe places to stay.
- Stock emergency or build a Emergency Preparedness Kit and supplies, and pack to-go bags.
- Collect all important documents and safeguard them.
During a hurricane:
- Follow all guidance from your local authorities - like Ware County Emergency Management Agency (EMA)
- If you are advised to evacuate, grab your to-go bag and your loved ones and leave immediately.
- Stay away from windows and shelter on the lowest level in an interior room, moving to higher ground if there is flooding or a flood warning.
- Never walk or drive on flooded roads or through water.
Call 9-1-1 if your life is threatened.
After a hurricane:
- Only return to the area of your home when authorities say it is safe to do so.
- Do not enter damaged buildings until they are inspected by qualified professionals.
- Never walk or drive on flooded roads or through floodwaters.
Keep an eye out for downed trees, power lines, and poles.
Protect your hands and feet with gloves and sturdy shoes.
- When cleaning up, do not remove heavy debris by yourself.
- Do not drink tap water until local authorities have approved its safety.
Here at SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas, we care about the safety of you and your loved ones. We are experienced in the cleanup jobs that are necessary after flooding and wind damage.
If you have experienced storm, fire or water damage or are having trouble with a mold issue, call us at (912) 285-0724, or visit our website: SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas.
When Flooding Strikes.. Count on SERVPRO
When flood waters rise, rely on SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas.
Flooding can happen anywhere!
- FEMA reports that in the last 5 years that all 50 states have experienced floods or flash floods.
- 75% of all Presidential disaster declarations are associated with flooding (NOAA)
- Floods can be naturally caused by hurricanes, tropical storms, heavy rains, and flash floods.
- Floods can occur at any time of the year, in any part of the country, anytime of day or night.
- Flood waters can also contain sewage, trash, and other debris. You should never walk or swim in flood waters.
- Flooding is the most common natural disaster in the United States.
- Flooding causes $8 billion in damages each year.
- Flooding can cause significant damage to your home and or business as well as create a health hazard. Indoor flooding also creates an environment for mold and mildew to grow if left untreated.
SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas has a highly trained and experienced team ready to combat rising waters in your home or business. Our experienced team is ready to assist you with immediate response and water extraction. We even work with your insurance companies to keep the claims process smooth and painless.
Here is what a previous customer had to say about us after a flood:
“SERVPRO came to the rescue when my house flooded! They arrived the same afternoon, and the employees were able to help me through the entire process. They worked long hours to make sure the project was finished in a timely manner at the convenience of my schedule. I had to request a late visit to have someone check on the progress, and they never hesitated to show up! Thanks, SERVPRO!!” - Crystal L.
We understand that storm damage and flooding can be devastating, that’s why we make it our goal to make it “Like it never even happened.” If your home or business suffers from a flood trust the experienced professionals at SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas.
Give us a call at (912)285-0724
House Fire Caused by Lighting Strike
Lighting strikes can cause significant damage to your home or business. Often you will not see signs of the damage at first due to the damage hiding in attics or inside walls. We suggest that after lighting strikes your home that you call the fire department immediately even if you do not see flames or smoke. It is also good to remember to call your electrician after a lighting strike to run electrical diagnostic test.
According to the NFPA from 2007-2011 the U.S. Local fire departments responded to an estimated average of 22,600 fires per year that were started by lightning.
Lighting bolts are estimated to reach up to 50,000 degrees, leaving the odds of having a fire increased if your home or business is struck. SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas have experienced the aftermath of a fire caused by a lighting strike. The odor, the charred insulation within the attic or walls.
SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas has an experienced team to handle any size fire or water loss. If your home has been hit by lighting count on SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas to make the fire damage “Like it never even happened.”
Thunderstorm Safety - Tips to Protect against a Lighting Strike
Lightning Strike can cause extensive damage to your home or business. Prepare now.
Lightning strikes the planet around 50 times per second, and just one strike can release 1 billion joules of energy. With this amount of energy hitting a house it can cause extreme damage not only to the structure but electronics as well. Lightning strikes are like any other form of natural disaster; they have no direct path - and you are left wondering why your home and why is next door untouched. Lightning strikes and power surges randomly choose their victims.
Understanding ways to better protect your home from a lightning strike include simple steps like unplugging electronics to:
- Installing lightning rods: rods will not stop lightning from striking, but instead help direct lightning safely away from your home; if the rods are installed properly.
- Removing large trees: lightning also tends to travel across the ground, keep taller trees away from the home in case they are stuck and fall on your home.
Like preparing for any natural disaster, check your home or renters insurance to see what is covered after a lightning strike.
If your home or business suffers from a fire or smoke damage after a lightning strike, contact SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas, our teams are experienced fire and water restoration specialist ready to assist you 24/7.
Strong Storms Predicated for the Weekend
NOAA Weather Predictions
There is an increased risk for tornadoes as server thunderstorms roll into South Georgia on Friday morning. With the increased risk of thunderstorms, many schools have already been canceled to ensure the safety of all students.
SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas are prepared for whatever happens by having our crews on standby to respond to your home or business after a storm damage occurs.
If your home is damaged by strong winds, hail, or flood damage call SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas to respond immediately.
SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas offers various storm damage services for residential and commercial clients including:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Board Up's
Board ups and tarping are very important to minimize further damage to the property. SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Preparing Your Home for Spring Storms
SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas in progress of drying out a local apartment complex after a water damage.
Spring brings lots of changes, especially with the weather. A sunny week can be followed by a week of storms, and you will want to be prepared for all these situations.
You will want to do an assessment of your property before heavy rains:
1. Proper Drainage
2. Roof Leaks
3. Window and Door Leaks
Make arrangements as soon as possible for repairs to be done before the rainy season begins.
Thunderstorms cause most of the severe spring weather. Lightning, flooding, and other types of activity will be a part of your spring weather experience, which is caused when warm, moist air collides with cool, dry air. Planning ahead makes sense so that your property and the people you care about can avoid injury and damages.
Here are some things to think about or to have on hand for storms:
- A battery-operated flashlight, with extra batteries.
- A battery-operated, NOAA Weather Radio.
- An emergency evacuation plan. Have a map of your home complete with an escape route in case of a flood. Make sure everyone knows where to go in the event of a disaster.
- Make sure everyone has a list of important contact information, such as:
Telephone numbers of police and fire departments
Telephone numbers of family, neighbors, and friends
- Medical information for members of the household
- A First Aid Kit
- Any medications necessary for additional needs
- 3-5-day supply of clean water and non-perishable food
- Blankets, sleeping bags, etc.
Planning ahead before wet weather hits is always a good idea. Call us here at SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas if your property sustains water or flood damage.
When Tornadoes Strike!
Tornado season is here! South Georgia is at a moderate risk for tornadoes according to AccuWeather predictions for 2019. Devastating tornadoes have already hit Southwest Georgia and Alabama in early March.
The SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas are here to help when disaster strikes. We provide various storm-related services such as:
- Tarping Services
- Board Up Services
- Emergency Water Removal and Dehumidification
We are here to help and are available 24 hours a day, we are prepared for the unpredictable. The SERVPRO Disaster Recovery Team can provide help whether you're dealing with a tornado, hurricane, or flood. The SERVPRO System has a network of strategically positioned storm teams on standby should a disaster strike near you.
SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas can be reached anytime at (912)285-0724
Fire Damage to Local Waycross Complex
Late Sunday night our SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas team responded to a kitchen fire that ignited a sprinkler system on the 3rd floor of a local apartment complex. Our team arrived before sunrise and was able to begin immediate water extraction. The sprinkler system did a great job putting out the fire causing minimal fire damage; however the water from the sprinkler system soaked through 3 floors of the building leaving standing water in a few of the rooms.
SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas wasted no time in restoring this property from soot, water, and smoke damage. Our highly trained technicians began an immediate plan of action to prevent further damage by extracting all of the standing water. After our teams extracted as much water as possible, we then used our drying technologies to dry out the affected rooms and materials.
Our highly trained crews have the specialized equipment and resources to handle the job, large or small, residential and/or commercial. If you are dealing with fire damage, count on the experienced team at SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas.
Call us today at (912)285-0724