Keeping Your Break Room Clean
Anyone who has worked on a team knows that it can be a challenge to keep the community break room clean. Everyone has very different ideas of what cleanliness entails, and this can create a lot of tension in the workplace and can even create problems with morale and relationships. These types of conflicts will adversely affect your business, and that’s not something anyone wants to see.
As the owner, either you or a designated representative can establish break room expectations. Here are some tips:
- Post a checklist or cleaning schedule on the break room wall in clear view of everyone who will be using it.
- Ask for volunteers who would like to oversee a particular area and schedule their duties on a rotating basis.
- Daily - clean food prep areas, sweep or vacuum flooring and trash removal, wipe down door knobs, wipe down chairs and tables.
- Weekly - clean microwave and other cooking appliances, front of refrigerator, glass, dishwasher, mop flooring, launder linens used during the week
- Weekly or bi-monthly - remove old food and containers from refrigerator, and make it clear that anything left behind will be discarded.
- Monthly - inspect the entire area for problems, such as food underneath or behind the stove, which will attract vermin. Check under the sink area for out-of-date cleaning products or leaks; left to itself, moisture can be conducive to mold growth.
- Allow the volunteers to leave work early on Fridays or come in late as a reward for their willingness to handle this part of the workplace.
- Install air fresheners or products that reduce odors.
- Ensure that cleaning supplies are readily available at all times and that sponges and/or cleaning rags are clean and fresh. If they are not, people will avoid using them.
- Make it clear that if cleanliness standards are not followed, use of the break room will be restricted or abolished.
Contact us here at SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas for all your large-scale cleaning projects. We are experts at cleanup after water and fire damage and are equipped to handle mold remediation. Our website is: SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas and our phone number is: (912) 285-0724.