Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville, & Douglas is a 24/7 company that never sleeps- we are here for your emergency no matter the time or day. Why is getting immediate assistance better than waiting? The truth is the faster you get to a fire damage is to minimize further damage or possible secondary damage from the water used to extinguish the flames. Or if the fire tarnished your roof then you are in a position where you are in need of immediate assistance from a fire damage restoration specialist to tarp your roof; tarping your roof is essential to protect your home from rain and other environmental factors. SERVPRO will then assess the extent of the damage to the property. This involves how far the fire, smoke, and soot traveled throughout the home and if any furniture or clothing was affected. This is an important step to understanding the damage to assess the cost of the restoration process better.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (912) 285-0724
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.